Northbridge Tennis Club is a club with great traditions of camaraderie and a love of tennis. The three courts are in constant use by the members and the local community which has always been the case during the Clubs history.
There are a number of regular events that take place every year and long may they do so. They include:
- Club Championships – an annual event where the Ordinary and Associate members of NTC compete for the various singles and doubles titles, including the Open Singles & Doubles, Veterans Singles & Doubles, Grand Master Singles, and the Handicap Singles & Doubles. The tournament normally runs from late May and culminates in early September with Finals Day, which is a great social event for players and spectators alike.
- Club Tennis – Wednesday and Saturday afternoons are dedicated to club tennis for members only. Outside of that time, the courts are used by individual members, the court hirers (permanent and casual) and for coaching, which has been an integral part of the Club for many years. From time to time the Club holds a round robin Doubles Ladder Competition to encourage the improvement of the players.
- Coaching – The Club has had a resident coach for many years offering their services to the local schools, the local community and to the members. Our current coach, John Coverley, has been with us for over thirteen years. He has recently introduced Tennis Australia’s Hot Shots Program to encourage the local kids to take up tennis and participate in a healthy lifestyle.
- Other Tennis Clubs – competitions are played annually or periodically against other intrastate and local tennis clubs.
- Tennis Seniors (over 35’s) – Club members actively participate as individuals and teams in support of Tennis Senior events within NSW, Australia and international ITF competitions.
- NSTA Competition Teams – NTC has actively supported the NSTA competitions since it started, and previously has had NTC members on the NSTA Board of Directors. This is a key aspect of the Club as we offer both social and competitive tennis to our members.
- Annual Dinner – For many years the Club has had an Annual Dinner to celebrate the year and enjoy the company of the other members. We always invite a guest speaker to the event. In 2011, it was Steve Healy, the current President of Tennis Australia and a local Northbridge resident. In 2012, the guest speaker was Bob Giltinan, former Australian David Cup player and tennis legend. In 2013 it was Kim Warwick, tennis legend. In 2014 it was Prof. Colin Tatz, AO and in 2015 it was former Club member Neil Harvey, a cricket immortal. In 2017 Iain Suthers, a prominent Marine Biologist at UNI NSW, as well as guiding research at The Sydney Institute of Marine Science [SIMS] at Chowder Bay, and Chief Scientist aboard Australia’s newest ocean-going research vessel RV ‘Investigator’.
- Annual General Meeting (AGM) – This is held annually in early December where the Annual Report (comprising of the President’s and Treasurer’s reports) is presented to the members and the Election of Officers takes place. This is always followed by the NTC Xmas Party when friends join us to celebrate the Xmas festivities.
- NTC Website – In 2011 we introduced the NTC Website to the members. The primary purpose is to enable the wider community to see what is happening at NTC and to encourage them to get involved. We see this as an important step in increasing the profile of the Club and providing an opportunity to partner with local companies in terms of promotion and sponsorship. It can be accessed at www.northbridgetennis.com.au.